1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 cup whole milk yogurt
1 tablespoon coarsely cracked peppercorns
Milk or beaten egg for brushing
1. Freeze butter for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 450º. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
3. Use the large holes of a grater to shred frozen butter. Add butter to flour mixture, tossing swiftly to incorporate.
4. Slowly fold in yogurt a little bit at a time. It will appear dry.
Turn dough out onto a floured surface and press to flatten to 1/2 inch thick. Fold on itself a few times to work in all of the bits. Flatten again into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle.
5. Cut dough into 9 equal pieces. Trimming clean cuts around the edges will yield the prettiest biscuits. *At this point biscuits can be frozen for up to one month.
6. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with milk or beaten egg. Bake until biscuits are puffed and golden, about 15-20 minutes. Serve warm with MORE BUTTER!